Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Google+ Link To US
Background
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Welcome to AWOLGAMERS
Please sign in or Register

AWOLGAMERS: Forums

Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AWOLGAMERS Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION - OFF TOPIC LOUNGE
Blabber123
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
I didn't really know what to expect from college, but being a week in already, I've gotta say, it's completely different. First off, I'm a junior in high school and have a devout passion for welding. I took a high school course for it last year, and loved it the minute I stepped in the classroom/shop. My school offers a completely free opportunity to take courses at my local college for a number of things, particularly things in the medical field, and Welding. I was offered this opportunity at the end of my 10th grade year and took it without any hesitation...well, actually I did hesitate because it's college. I was unsure if I was ready to jump into that so soon. But, in the end, I decided that if I was going to further my knowledge and skill in welding, I needed to take this. College is different high school in a number of ways. The technology is a lot more advanced, which allows for better coverage over different scenarios, such as different metal thickness and positions/joints. The main thing though, is it's not as forgiving as high school. My study guide was very vague and left all the research up to me, which isn't a bad thing, but it's not like high school.

I just thought I'd share my experience of my first week in college as a high school student. It's a whole lot different, but I'm happy with the decision I've made and I know it will further myself

Otroud
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
its not as forgiving than high school is cause its for adults. never heard of a 10th grader going to college that early. all my friends went when they were out of school after 12th grade. for welding you dont need college thats a trade and is free i believe at a trade school now medicine is different whereas you HAVE to go to a colege for. im just trying to understand why they were skipping out on your 2 years left cause some of that you will need for college. and congrats.

Pensive
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
He isn't skipping out on the high school, he is taking some college classes while also attending high school. And for that I say well done and keep up the good work.

cortexgunner92
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
As someone 2 years into an engineering program at university I can definitely agree that it's a totally different ballgame in college, you definitely have got to learn to adapt and manage your own time and habits a lot better than in highschool.

Overall, I think it really gives you an opportunity to not only better yourself but just learn more about how your brain works and learns, which will help you in way more areas of your life than just welding.

Good luck!

Blabber123
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 am Reply with quote
Otroud, I was in 10th grade when I first discovered my liking of welding. I am now a Junior taking college courses. Yes, it is true that I could still be good at welding even if I didn't take this opportunity, but it's not just about physically welding. It's about, like I said, the resources available and the knowledge and advice given to me by my instructors. A trade school is far from free. Some of the ones close to my area have a tuition of $20,000 +

Anyhow, I've got an interview report due in 2 days for my Industrial Safety course so that's something to put some grey hairs on my head!

staticx57
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
Congrats on taking college classes. College is the best time of your life before retirement. All of th freedoms with none of the responsibilities

Gary_P
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I teach automotive at my community college and I have 11 under 18 11th-12th grade students in it. it is not uncommon and there will be more of this in the future

Otroud
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I was only asking cause im almost 40 and when i was in high school it was unheard of in my city. they have different welding schools too , they have them at colleges which are expensive but they also have 6 month vo-tech classes that i believe are free and teach basically the same thing. its all good tho i get it now. thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AWOLGAMERS Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION - OFF TOPIC LOUNGE

View next topic
View previous topic